As I’ve moved west access to television news in English has gotten easier. Here in Arcueil I have my pick of CNN, the BBC or Skye News. I could also get Al Jazeera in Greece. So I’ve been able to watch the rebels in Libya shoot down their own plane, pose for pictures on top of shattered tanks while flashing that universal symbol of vacuity, the peace sign, engage in bitter disputations amongst themselves, lie to the television reporters by staging an obviously fake burial for the cameras, and cry out for military assistance. I’ve seen a high profile representative of the French intellectual class, Bernard-Henri Lévy, weigh in on the side of military intervention. Given all these warning signs, if President Obama does anything more militarily in this situation, he is not as smart as I thought he was.
- In Transit’s Content Is On the Move April 23, 2015Features for this blog can now be found on the new In Transit webpage and on the Travel home page.
- A Book Fair in Buenos Aires April 14, 2015The Buenos Aires International Book Fair in Argentina will include more than 500 exhibitors.
- Walkabout: China Limits Travel to Hong Kong April 13, 2015A weekly capsule of travel news curated by our writers and editors.
- Trending: Inspired by TV, Trips an Anglophile Would Love April 11, 2015The popularity of recent television series and movies like “Downton Abbey” and “Paddington” has inspired Anglophile-focused travel.
- A Hotel Where Guests Are Pals With the Pen April 10, 2015During National Card and Letter Writing Month, the Hotel Hugo in New York City is encouraging guests to send notes to folks back home (cards are free).
- History in Bloom in Bulgaria April 10, 2015A festival In Kazanlak, Bulgaria, in June will celebrate the Damask rose grown in the country.
- Wine Study, by Barge, in Burgundy April 9, 2015The luxury tour operator Belmond is offering a Wine Academy on three Burgundy-based barges.
- New Hikes in Sonoma April 9, 2015A new trail in California will give hikers access to parts of Sonoma Mountain for the first time.
- Airbnb Offers Accommodations in Cuba April 7, 2015Airbnb, the home and room rental company, has added properties in Cuba for U.S. travelers.
- A Six Senses Resort to Open in Portugal April 7, 2015Six Senses Resorts and Spas will open a property in Portugal this summer, its first in Europe.
- In Transit’s Content Is On the Move April 23, 2015